Top Menu

Frankfurt Is My Kind Of Town

After 20.5 hours of plane, train, and another train worth of travel I am finally back in Frankfurt for the evening and I wanted to post a quick note to say how charming the city and its people have been during my brief visit.

I hope to get back again soon and have some more time to explore and get to know the area better. In the meantime, I saw the news about the added cancellations at the Minnesota Orchestra. Very disturbing indeed.

I also saw the news about Dietmar Machold being sentenced to six years in prison for embezzlement and fraudulent.

10 Responses to Frankfurt Is My Kind Of Town

1. Thomas Klaber November 10, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Welcome to my life, Drew. We do this for 2 or 3 months every year. Wouldn’t it be nice to have your own jet, like Auric Goldfinger. You could get from here to there in about 5-6 hours.

• Drew McManus November 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

A Bond reference, love it. And for more trivia, the jet used in that movie was one of the first private jet designs, based on a modified USAF model :)

2. NYMike November 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Besides being Germany’s financial center and the headquarters of the Beate Uhze sex shop company, there’s a wonderful Bohemian/student area across the Main River from Alte Stadt (Old Town). The Opera House and the Radio Orchestra contribute much to Frankfurt’s cultural life. The city is also a major rail and air transportation hub (but you already know that).

• NYMike November 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

That’s Beate Uze sans “h.”

• Drew McManus November 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Friendly, yes, but that wasn’t the sort of hospitality i encountered. In fact, I’ll take a pass on the red light district.

I will say that I was quite impressed with the rail center. Very friendly staff and everything ran on time. The one trip I was on that didn’t actually held the connecting train for 5 min so we didn’t miss it.

3. Chad Stoltenberg November 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

“Mein kint uf town, yah Franfurt is…mein kint uf town” (to be sung to “my Kind Of Town” of course) – had to read the article just because of the headline. Thanks for making me chuckle today. Sorry about the 20 hours – what a drag

• Drew McManus November 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Thanks for the sympathy but in the end, it’s still a modern miracle to even be able to accomplish that much travel in such a short period of time :)

4. Thomas Klaber November 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

More on that beautiful airplane. It was a Sabreliner, and Michael Dorn(Worf) owns one. I guess they really slurp fuel. A G4 would be OK.

• Drew McManus November 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Michael Dorn owns one too? I knew he was a pilot and had a nice collection but wasn’t aware he had one. That is very, very cool!

5. Robert Levine November 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

It’s true about Michael Dorn. BTW the original Learjet was based on a Swiss fighter design.