position title: director of operations & artistic administration
reports to: executive director
full time position/ exempt
LACO’s Director of Operations & Artistic Administration, a member of the senior staff, works effectively and efficiently to ensure seamless operations of all artistic and production activities in accordance with the Orchestra’s master agreement; maintains excellent communication and relationships with LACO’s Music Director, musicians, concert venues, guest artists, personnel manager, librarian, stage manager, and other administrative staff; oversees the education and community outreach programs of the Orchestra; serves as liaison to the Orchestra Committee and Orchestra Liaison Committee; and supervises the Associate Director of Production and the Production Intern.
- Prepare budgets for production department; work with Director of Finance to ensure accuracy and fiscal responsibility;
- Supervise implementation of current season production (including subscription series, recording, touring, and special events) and planning of future activities, including seasons, run-outs, tours, and special concerts;
- Schedule concert venues/facilities and handle contracts for performances and rehearsals.
- Prepare budgets for artistic department; work with Director of Finance to ensure accuracy and fiscal responsibility;
- Work closely with LACO’s Music Director and Executive Director in season planning (concert series, run-outs, special events) and other essential artistic matters;
- Book guest artists, negotiate fees and execute contracts; cultivate good relationships with artist managers;
- Maintain good artist relations; plan for and see to the needs of all guest artists;
- Coordinate, supervise and implement various ancillary actives including auditions, receptions, and informal musical events involving musicians;
- Communicate with Development, Marketing & PR Departments on an ongoing basis to ensure timely distribution of institutional materials (brochures, programs, etc…);
- Oversee special projects such as touring and recording.
- Work with Associate Director of Production on the development of LACO’s education programs; develop school contacts and maintain database of this information;
- Work with Associate Director of Production on the communication and information dissemination among musicians, teachers, principals, and other school personnel both to implement the various aspect of the education program and to build audiences for LACO’s Meet the Music concerts;
- Work with Associate Director of Production on building LACO’s Community Partners Program and ongoing communication and relationships with partners;
- Work with Associate Director of Production on development and compilation of teacher and student surveys and reports used to better, grow and enhance programs and for the Development department for grant application purposes.
- Attend all Finance Committee, Orchestra Committee and Orchestra Liaison Committee meetings, as well as all Orchestra auditions and other Committee meetings as needed;
- Serve as member of LACO’s senior staff and attend all senior staff and regular staff meetings;
- Attend concerts, rehearsals and special events that require artist and musician participation.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; advanced degree preferred, but not required;
- Prior experience with orchestras recommended; touring experience desired;
- Solid track record in working as a reliable and trusted team member; proven leadership and human resources management in the performing arts;
- Excellent knowledge of artists and repertoire;
- Experience in managing staff members;
- Excellent computer, written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work in fast-paced working environment; juggle multiple tasks simultaneously; meet deadlines; collaborate effectively; and interact diplomatically and tactfully with all members of the LACO community;
- Salary commensurate with experience. EOE
Please email resume and comprehensive cover letter to: email@example.com
about the los angeles chamber orchestra
Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is “America’s finest chamber orchestra.” (Jim Svejda of PRI’s The Record Shelf) Since its inaugural concerts in 1969, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra has established itself among the world’s top musical ensembles. Under the baton of prominent pianist and conductor Jeffrey Kahane since 1997, LACO maintains its status as a preeminent interpreter of historical masterworks and a champion of contemporary composers. In its 45-year history, the Orchestra has made 31 recordings, toured Europe, South America and Japan, and performed across North America, earning adulation from audiences and critics. LACO presents seven Orchestral Series concerts on Saturdays at Glendale’s Alex Theatre and on Sundays at UCLA’s Royce Hall; five Baroque Conversations concerts at downtown Los Angeles’ Zipper Concert Hall at The Colburn School; three Westside Connections chamber music concerts at the Moss Theater in Santa Monica; and an annual Discover concert, which features an in-depth examination that sheds new light on a single piece of music, at Pasadena’s Ambassador Auditorium. In addition, LACO presents a Concert Gala, Silent Film screening and several fundraising events each year. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles and managed by a staff of 12 full- and several part-time employees, LACO offers a collegial workplace and welcomes innovative thinking and initiative.