Full-Time Director of Development
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
TITLE: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Marin Symphony seeks a dynamic Development professional to join our team. The successful candidate has 5 years experience in the non-profit performing arts sector. A successful track record of exceeding contributed income goals, grant writing and development event management is required. The ideal candidate is creative, resourceful, self-directed, focused, tenacious and collaborative, has outstanding oral and written communication skills and excels working in a fast paced, dynamic, multi-tasking environment. The position is based in San Rafael, California and offers competitive compensation, vacation benefits, a health plan stipend and flexible time for professional development. Previous Marin County non-profit experience and appreciation for orchestral music preferred.
JOB SUMMARY: The Development Director is responsible for the development, management, implementation, and evaluation of an overall fund-raising program consistent with the Association’s needs and goals. To that end, the Development
Director manages staff and volunteers in planning and executing all annual, sponsorship, capital, endowment, and planned giving programs, as well as fund-raising events and benefits. The Development Director is also responsible for making grant applications to federal, state, and local government agencies that provide arts funding; and researching and applying to private foundations and corporations that provide arts grants. The Development Director will recommend fund-raising policies and procedures to the Executive Director and Board with the goal of building a year-round development program that demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, manage, and implement all phases of the Annual Fund campaign; oversee the solicitation and acknowledgement process, maintenance of records, and establishment and disclosure within IRS guidelines of donor benefits; monitor progress and make adjustments as needed.
- Develop a comprehensive case statement for support of the Association, based on long-range plan; update annually. Work with Board to develop and direct year-round program to cultivate new prospects and seek out new funding opportunities.
- Develop and implement a corporate sponsorship program; research and identify potential sponsors; prepare proposals and work with Board to identify matches between Association’s program and each company’s interests.
- Prepare grant applications for corporations, foundations, and government agencies that provide arts funding; research all grant possibilities and write reports and back-up materials to support each application; follow-up on each proposal.
- Work with volunteers to plan all special fund-raising events and benefits; participate in establishing the budget and oversee each event.
- Develop an ongoing planned giving program; work with Board to identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects.
- Provide strategic guidance and planning to all committees of the Endowment campaign; develop campaign prospect list; organize and participate in leadership solicitations; meet with volunteers to review strategies and track progress; attend committee meetings as needed.
Budgeting and Planning
- Assist the Executive Director and Board in establishing appropriate goals for the Annual Fund and all other fund-raising campaigns deemed necessary endowment, planned giving, etc.) each year.
- Develop a plan for achieving those goals and establish a master calendar that outlines all fund-raising events and campaigns; coordinate all activities with the Association’s master calendar.
- Develop budgets for each event and campaign; monitor the progress of each, and adjust plans when necessary.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and other designated staff in long-range planning for the Association; prepare budget projections as needed.
Board of Directors
- Work closely with the Development Committee of the Board and other volunteers enlisted to participate in the development program.
- Report to the Board and Executive Committee on progress of all fund-raising events and campaigns; provide other reports and statements as requested.
- Develop Board and volunteer leadership through participation in Development Committee meetings and ongoing donor cultivation efforts; participate in identifying and recruiting new leadership.
- Recommend fund-raising policies and procedures to the Executive Director and Board with the goal of building a year-round development program that demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Work with the Director of Marketing & Communications in packaging and solicitation of sponsorships and in-kind support for various product lines and campaigns; ensure that media exposure and acknowledgment promised to donors is in place. Collaborate on messaging, social networking and collateral for fundraising events and campaigns.
- Organize staff and volunteers to carry out all fund-raising campaigns and events; evaluate effectiveness of each campaign.
- Oversee the maintenance of all donor files and records; develop and administer all donor benefit programs in accordance with IRS guidelines.
- Provide periodic progress reports on all campaigns; prepare listings and financial statements as needed by the Board and staff.
- Develop and maintain internal and external contacts to optimize fund-raising efforts.
- Maintain ongoing contact with contributors, corporate sponsors, and business and community leaders.
- Support Board and staff efforts to solicit in-kind contributions.
- Keep abreast of recent research on fund-raising; maintain a collection of current fund-raising resource materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
How to Applyemail resume and letter of interest to Jeff vom Saal, Executive Director. firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!!
669 total views, 2 today