Full-Time Director of Operations
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The Charleston Symphony Orchestra is seeking a full-time Director of Operations who will be responsible for ensuring that the scheduling and production of the orchestra’s concerts, rehearsals, tours, special events, education and outreach programs are implemented and run smoothly, effectively, and in a financially responsible manner.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Director of Operations shall be responsible for the following:
The Director of Operations has the following direct reports:
- Education Manager & Librarian (Full-time)
- Orchestra Personnel Manager (Part-time)
- Production Manager (Part-Time) & Assistants
In addition, the Director of Operations will work closely with the Artistic Advisor/Music Director, Development Director, Marketing Director, Director of Patron Services, and Finance Manager.
- Put in place a structure, and develop standard operating procedures for orchestra production and operations
- Work with Artistic Advisor / Music Director and senior management on development of concert programs
- Prepare budgets for performances and other projects using the musicians
- Manage projects in Recording and Electronic Media
- Maximize the effectiveness of musician service utilization to the community within the strategic plan of the organization
- Develop and maintain relationships with artist managers
- Responsible for communications with Orchestra Committee and labor unions
- Overall responsibility to manage and oversee the following:
- All the issues related to the orchestra’s musicians, guest artists and facilities, including development and negotiation of contracts with venues, guest conductors and guest artists, and oversight of the preparation of schedules and rosters of orchestra musicians, musician payroll, and audition preparation.
- All logistics of venues, personnel, instruments and equipment for tours and run-outs.
- Coordination of musicians, artistic administration, artist managers, and facility management.
- Maintenance schedules, manage tours and run-outs, and oversee compliance with vendor and union contracts.
- Oversee the planning, scheduling, implementation and monitoring of educational initiatives in the public schools (K-12) including in-school ensemble master classes and interactive demonstration.
- Oversee the planning, scheduling, implementation and monitoring of educational initiatives in the Community, including adult education, collaborations with universities and other organizations, visiting lecturers and composers, private and group instruction, and active participatory programs between the orchestra and the public
- A passion for advancing the art form of orchestral music performance and music education and appreciation for the impact they have on peoples’ lives
- Experience working with a professional orchestra
- Initiative and self-starter
- Familiarity with the full range of symphonic repertoire, and a willingness to listen to and learn unfamiliar works
- Competency and experience in non-profit finance, including preparation of budgets and income statements and forecasting cash flow.
- Effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills
- Knowledge of backstage and touring production matters, such as securing of venues, arranging for equipment and negotiating contracts, and a familiarity with unions and collective bargaining agreements
- Familiarity with production of recording and electronic media projects, especially in regards to working with labor unions
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality. Needs to be seen as a team player who is committed to lifelong learning
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment
- Strong commitment to developing team members
- Familiarity with many different genres of music and broad knowledge of artistic planning
- Extraordinary attention to detail
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to:
Daniel E. Beckley Executive Director Charleston Symphony Orchestra 572 Savannah Highway, Suite 100 Charleston, SC 29407
704 total views, 1 today