Temp/Seasonal Technical Director
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The strongest candidates will demonstrate exceptional knowledge of the technical aspects of performing arts productions and have experience with lighting, sound, rigging, and general stage operations. The successful candidate must be able to hit the ground running and have outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills. Starting and ending dates for onsite activities are approximately July 16 through August 13. End date is modestly negotiable.
The production team is made up of approximately eight college-age interns with various levels of experience, as well as a seasonal production manager who coordinates all aspects of Music@Menlo’s events. This position reports to the Operations Director but will be working side-by-side with the production manager.
- Determine in advance the necessary technical aspects of Music@Menlo’s various events, such as lighting, sound, staging, and other special needs.
- Work with festival staff to learn about all components of the festival; must be able to quickly absorb a wealth of information about the upcoming season.
- Assist with equipment and supply inventory and inspection and manage the rental/purchase of needed equipment and supplies.
- Manage the preparation of all rehearsal and performance venues including stage delivery and installation, stage lighting, microphone placement and hanging, and band shell installation and placement.
- Design, implement, maintain, and operate lighting, sound systems, video systems (including live streaming), and all technical details needed for rehearsals, recording sessions, performances and presentations.
- Assist with the management of daily use of all rehearsal and performance venues to ensure proper use, maintenance, clean-up, and security.
- Manage the proper delivery, use, and care of equipment, including stage lighting, audio and video equipment, etc.
- Work directly with artists and speakers in preparing, setting up, and running all aspects of their rehearsals, recording sessions, performances and presentations.
- Work directly with audio engineer to keep all recording sessions on schedule.
- Be available for all concerts, lectures, and recording sessions. Provide hands-on technical support when necessary.
- Ensure all rehearsal and performance venues are restored to original condition; obtain signoff from venue manager (where applicable) and Operations Director as final step.
- Conduct an inventory and inspection of all Music@Menlo supplies and equipment and prepare items for storage; document results in writing.
- Document all work in a reference binder including data, contacts, key communications, vendors, and best practices developed and learned from pre-festival through post-festival.
- At least two years experience working in a performing arts center, theater, or performance hall
- Knowledge of electrics including power supply demands and lighting systems
- Experience working with audiovisual and sound equipment such as LCD projectors, wireless mics, amplification
- Experience programming and running sound and light boards
- A commitment to quality at the highest level for both audience members and artists
- Prior experience working with crew members who have differing levels of knowledge and experience
- Sound judgment and diplomacy, and a solid sense of the skills needed to work with a dedicated yet diverse team of staff and interns
- Outstanding communication and organization skills and ability to manage a large workload over a short period of time
- Must be very detail oriented and have the ability to efficiently handle multiple situations at any given time
- Ability to remain calm and pleasant in a fast-paced environment, as well as make good decisions quickly
- Physical stamina including the ability to be on your feet for long periods of time, plus the ability to lift and carry 60+ lbs
- Must be available to work all festival events, including weekends, late nights, early mornings
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Knowledge of and familiarity with classical music repertoire and instrumentation preferred but not required
How to ApplySend a cover letter, résumé, and list of three professional references to: Marianne LaCrosse, Operations Director Music@Menlo 50 Valparaiso Avenue Atherton, CA 94027 FAX: 650-330-2016 firstname.lastname@example.org
588 total views, 1 today